Breakdown & recovery services for canal boats, narrowboats, barges
We list canal breakdown, rescue & recovery services. Some companies offer annual breakdown and rescue services, others will attend when required. These are the canal equivalent of motoring breakdown schemes such as The RAC and Green Flag.
- The level of support offered in cover based on an annual policy does vary between companies, and some companies have a range of support options. This affects costs of course.
- Before choosing cover you need to consider issues such as whether you want others to be covered by your policy (if you lend the boat to friends for instance) and whether you want breakdown support to be available when your boat is still on your home mooring.
- If the fault cannot be easily fixed on callout most companies will only arrange to move the boat to the nearest safe mooring.
- If the boat needs towing or transporting back to your home mooring see our listing of boat transport and delivery services.
- We also list mobile canal engineers on a separate page. Many of these also provide mobile breakdown services.