Canal hire firms in Northern England & the Scottish Lowlands
The Inland Waterways of Northern England and lowland Scotland were at the heart of the Industrial Revolution, linking the ports of Hull and Liverpool to the manufacturing centres of Manchester and Leeds, and linking Glasgow and Edinburgh to the industries of central Scotland. Now most of the old industries are silent and hiring a boat on these canals opens up access to some of the most beautiful scenery in Britain.
- The reopened Scottish Lowland Canals have reunited Glasgow and Edinburgh via the amazing Falkirk Wheel.
- The lock free Lancaster Canal meanders peacefully in-between the Irish Sea coast and the Pennine hills.
- The majestic Pennine moors are crossed by the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and the Rochdale Canal.
- The Aire and Calder Navigation heads east from Leeds, linking a fascinating waterway network increasingly popular with leisure boaters.
- The River Trent, still busy with commercial traffic, links the Midlands to the Yorkshire waterways and the Chesterfield Canal.