Canal hire firms on Midland canals & South Wales canals
The network of canals radiating out from Birmingham were once at the heart of the Industrial Revolution. Now with so many cruising routes and rings the Midlands makes a wonderful place to explore on a hire boat holiday.
- The Birmingham Canal Navigations with the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal create a unique network of cruising canals.
- The Rivers Severn and Avon have long trading histories, the Severn being an important medieval route to Shrewsbury and Wales.
- The Staffs & Worcs Canal, Coventry Canal and the lock free Ashby Canal once served coalfields but all traces are now mostly buried under thick green vegetation.
- The Worcester and Birmingham Canal cuts through tunnels and many locks on its descent to Worcester.
- The Stratford Canal runs through the ‘Heart of England’ to a basin by the famous Royal Shakespeare Theatre alongside the River Avon.