The contents include:
- Advice on what type of boating holiday.
- Where and when to go.
- Booking your boat.
- The necessary preparation.
- Starting your first trip.
- Boat handling.
- Negotiating locks, bridges, tunnels and aqueducts.
- Safety on board.
- Problems you may encounter and how to deal with them.
- Those extra-special places to see and things to do.
- Boating in Ireland and Europe.
- Buying a boat and boat ownership.
Appendices cover walking and cycling along the waterways; communication on board (mobiles and laptops); where to get more information; boat shows, events and rallies; waterway guides, magazines and videos; glossary of boating terms; bibliography.
The practical aspects are clearly explained through the vivid illustrations, while the unique characteristics of the waterways are captured in the photographs. Additionally, the inland waterways system is well-illustrated through detailed maps showing individual canals and rivers